Cold War Commander
Cold War Commander is an exciting wargame that allows you to re-create battles from the First Indo-China War right up to the present day using miniatures on a tabletop. Command anything from a company right up to a division and get a result in 2-3 hours without becoming bogged-down in detail. Suitable for any scale miniatures from 2mm right up to 28mm (including 6mm, 1/285, 10mm, 12mm, N Scale, 15mm and 20mm) and no re-basing required.
The rules come as a 140-page A4-sized book (either a print-on-demand monochrome book or a full-colour electronic PDF document) with over 60 pictures that illustrate how to play the game. These feature real miniatures as you see them on the gaming table. You also get a double-sided A4-sized quick reference sheet.
The game can be played at one of two levels: 1 base = 1 Platoon (the scale the game was designed for) or 1 base = 1 Squad or Individual Vehicle. The ground scale is 1cm = 20m or 1cm = 10m respectively. One turn represents up to 30 minutes of real-life action.
The main features of the game include:
- command system that emphasizes the fog of war in a simple but effective manner
- the same mechanism for casualty resolution throughout
- rules for infantry, tanks, artillery, aircraft, helicopters, missiles, engineers and fortifications
- flexible figure ratio meaning a base of infantry represents either a section or a platoon
- minimal set-up time - simply assemble your forces and play
- unique points system that allows for unequal forces but an equal chance of victory
- 33 well presented army lists for 28 nations covering 13 conflicts
- 16 generic scenarios suitable for any nation & theatre
- suitable for solo, 2-player & multi-player games at home, club, or tournament
- one double-sided quick reference sheet included
- no supplements - all you need to play in one book
- Cold War 1946-90 (America, Britain, China, France, Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact, West Germany)
- First Indochina War 1948-54 (France, Viet Minh)
- Korean War 1950-53 (Communists, United Nations)
- Arab-Israeli Wars 1956-82 (Arabs, Israel)
- Vietnam War 1957-75 (America, South Vietnam, North Vietnam)
- Indo-Pakistan Wars 1965-71 (India, Pakistan)
- Angolan War 1975-90 (Angola, South Africa)
- Ogaden War 1977-78 (Ethiopia, Somalia)
- Soviet-Afghan War 1979-89 (Mujahideen, Soviet Union)
- Iran-Iraq War 1980-88 (Iran, Iraq)
- Falklands War 1982 (Argentina, Britain)
- Gulf Wars 1991-03 (America, Britain, France, Iraq)
- Modern 1991+ (America, Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia)
- Mighty Miniatures July 2011
- The Journal, Issue 59 November 2007
- Tabletop Gaming News April 2007
- Vae Victis Magazine, Issue 73 March-April 2007
- Graham Knight at BattleGames.co.uk March 2007
- Bob Barnetson in BattleGames Magazine February 2007
- Antar Howarth at TotalModel.com January 2007
Give 'Em To Me!
As you can see, you get a shed-load for your hard earned cash. Cold War Commander is a complete game system with no need to spend more on additional supplements as it's all included in this book - the only other things you'll need are some dice, miniatures and a table to play on. Let me at 'em!
Cold War Commander is fully supported on this web site. Please visit the downloads area of the site to see the documents that are available. These include the latest errata, FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and additional rules, together with scenarios, OOBs (Orders of Battle) and player contributions.