Future War Commander
Future War Commander is an exciting wargame that allows you to re-create battles of the future using miniatures on a tabletop. Command anything from a company right up to a division and get a result in 2-3 hours without becoming bogged-down in detail. Suitable for any scale miniatures from 2mm right up to 28mm (including 6mm, 10mm, 15mm and 20mm) and no re-basing is required.
The rules come as a 140-page A4-sized book (either a print-on-demand monochrome book or a full-colour electronic PDF document) with over 60 pictures that illustrate how to play the game. These feature real miniatures as you see them on the gaming table. You also get a double-sided A4-sized quick reference sheet.
The game can be played at one of three levels: 1 base = 1 Platoon (the scale the game was designed for), 1 base = 1 Squad or Individual Vehicle, or 1 miniature = 1 Soldier or Vehicle. The ground scale is 1cm = 20m or 1cm = 10m respectively. One turn represents up to 30 minutes of real-life action.
The main features of the game include:
- command system that emphasizes the fog of war in a simple but effective manner
- the same mechanism for casualty resolution throughout
- rules for infantry, armour, reconnaissance, artillery, aircraft and future technology
- examples of play using colour pictures of miniatures "in-action" to illustrate the game
- minimal set-up time - simply assemble your forces and play
- unique points system that allows for unequal forces but an equal chance of victory
- 41 well presented army lists covering the miniatures of 15 different manufacturers
- 11 scenarios for simulating combined-arms warfare of the future
- suitable for solo, two-player & multi-player games at home, at the club, or in the garden!
- one double-sided quick reference sheet included
- no supplements - all you need to play in one book
Future War Commander Skirmish!
The book includes four pages of rules and three army lists to allow you to play at the skirmish level using individual figures. This means you can use the same core rules to play futuristic games in 6mm and 28mm with the minimum of fuss! Take a look at the Surgical Strike battle report to see how the game plays at this level.
- Adler Miniatures (6mm)
- Alector Ltd (15mm)
- Baccus Inc (6mm)
- Brigade Models (6mm & 15mm)
- Dark Realm Miniatures (6mm)
- Denizen Miniatures (25mm)
- em4 Miniatures (28mm)
- Games Workshop (6mm) [Note]
- Grey Army (6mm)
- Ground Zero Games (6mm & 15mm)
- Old Crow Models (15mm & 28mm)
- Pig Iron Productions (28mm)
- Reaper Miniatures (10mm)
- Steel Crown Productions (6mm)
- Steve Jackson Games (6mm)
The following manufacturers are also covered, but the lists are in the downloads area of the site - they are not in the book:
- Plasmablast Games (6mm)
- Battletech (6mm)
- Rottenlead on YouTube May 2010
- Basement Gaming Bunker January 2010
- The Ancible Magazine, Issue 1 November 2009
- Spel! Magazine June 2009
- Dropship Horizon March 2009
- Firezone Studios October 2008
I Want 'Em!
As you can see, you get a skip-load for your hard earned cash. Future War Commander is a complete game system with no need to spend more on additional supplements as it's all included in this book - the only other things you'll need are some dice, miniatures and a table to play on. OK - I'm sold!
Future War Commander is fully supported on this web site. Please visit the downloads area of the site to see the documents that are available. These include the latest errata, FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and additional rules, together with scenarios, OOBs (Orders of Battle) and player contributions.
NOTE: Please note that due to copyright and trademark issues, the names of all Games Workshop races and units have been renamed in the book. Some common sense will be required when figuring out what is what!